Platespin Mirate 8 – Troubleshooting
Time to time during discovery process of source server you can find a problems with uploading xml output file (containing inventory information such as, OS version, hardware, partition layout etc.) from source server to Platespin server, in most cases you can meet a problem during discovering process for server in a different networks then PlateSpin server is located. Below you can find prerequisites for source server before discover by PlateSpin server
PlateSpin – Troubleshooting
Discovery and inventory issues
Applies to: PlateSpin Recon, Migrate and Protect
Technical prerequisites of the machine to discover (Windows):
- The user account used for discovery is a member of the local administrators group
- DNS-based name resolution is working properly (when using a FQDN)
- The following services are started:
- Remote Registry Access
- RPC Services
- Windows Installer
- The « File & Printers sharing » element is active (in the network card properties)
- Administrative shares (C$ et ADMIN$) are available in read/write access from the PlateSpin server with the provided user account
- DCOM is active. You can check DCOM’s status with “dcomcnfg”. Enabling DCOM will require a reboot.
- WMI is working properly. You can initiate a WMI connection to the remote machine using the ”wbemtest” tool on the PlateSpin server.
If it still doesn’t work…
You can try the following method (only for PlateSpin Migrate and Protect):
On the Migrate/Protect server, in Program FilesPlateSpin PortabilitySuite ServerWebWeb.config, edit the line <add key=”MachineDiscoveryUsingService” value=”false” />, replace false by true and reboot the server.
Missing disk and/or network counters
Applies to: PlateSpin Recon
You can re-enable any missing counter with the Extensible Performance Counter List (exctrlst.exe) tool.