Many beginner admins have a problem with upgrading ESXi5 free or standalone servers. In general, there are 3 ways:
- Upgrade using ISO
- Upgrade using PowerCLi
- Upgrade using ESXi command line
I will quickly describe how to upgrade or patch ESXi5 free or standalone server using ESXi command line.
- Download zip ( update-from-esxi5.0-5.0_update01.zip ) upgrade package from VMware site
- Upload zip to ESXi server or to datastore which ESXi has access to.
- Verify ESXi version before upgrade:
- Shutdown all Virtual machines before upgrade.
- Put ESXi server into maintenance mode
- Execute below command
~ # esxcli software vib install -d /path/to/update-from-esxi5.0-5.0_update01.zip
- After a minute below info message will appear on screen
Message: The update completed successfully, but the system needs to be rebooted for the changes to be effective.
- Reboot ESXi server
- Exit server from maintenance mode
- Verify ESXi build after restart.
- Host upgraded, now, you can start VMs and upgrade VMware tools on it.
If you would like to use different method, see below link to VMware kb article.