VMware Workstation 9 installation on Ubuntu
Installation or upgrade process of VMware workstation 9 on Linux Ubuntu or other supported distribution is straight forward. Frankly, there is not much difference between upgrade and installation processes. If you have older version installed, installer will uninstall it during VMware Workstation 9 upgrade process and new version is installed. Keeping all your settings and virtual machines from older version, of course.
- Download VMware Workstation installation bundle for Linux (regardless of distro) from VMware site.
- Set execution bit on bundle – sudo chmod +x VMware-Workstation-Full-9.0.0-812388.x86_64.bundle
- Verify that execution bit was set, type ls from terminal
- Start installation process sudo ./VMware-Workstation-Full-9.0.0-812388.x86_64.bundle
- Follow wizard to complete installation. after few minutes is DONE.
- Verify if new version is installed
- upgrade virtual machine hardware version
- upgrade VMware tools on virtual machines
[box type=”warning”] Valid VMware Workstation 9 license is needed to power virtual machines on[/box]