Migrate Windows 2012R2 server from ESXi to AHV in 5 minutes
As we, Nutanix, getting more and more questions and interest about Nutanix Acropolis and Nutanix hypervisor – AHV, I thought I will start series of blog posts and videos with Nutanix AHV How-To. As migration to/from is a part of every datacenter life cycle, I decided to create short video on how to migrate Windows 2012R2 server from ESXi to AHV.
Migration process if fairly straight forward, no rocket science here. If you have basic knowledge on how to operate VMware vSphere (vCenter, ESXi) and Nutanix, then you are good to go. Obviously, I will not describe here how to mount NFS export as datastore, or perform storage vMotion.
Migrate Windows 2012R2 server from ESXi to AHV – Preparation
- Make sure you have network connectivity between existing vSphere environment and Nutanix AHV, particularly to CVM public interface.
- Add legacy vSphere hosts IP addresses to Nutanix whitelist.
- Mount Nutanix container, as NFS datastore, to legacy VMware vSphere host or hosts.
- Install Nutanix virtIO drivers before migration.
[box type=”warning”] NOTE: Nutanix virtIO drivers will be available with NOS 4.5 – mid October 2015.[/box]
- Dump IP configuration to the fileM
- Make sure you have local administrator password.
- Storage vMotion VMDKs to Nutanix datastore.
- To prevent disks going offline after migration run below in elevated command prompt
- remove all snapshot from VM
[box type=”warning”] Do not apply below policy to VM with shared disks – like Microsoft clusters. It may cause data corruption. See more on this link[/box]
- Execute: san policy=onlineall
Migrate Windows 2012R2 server from ESXi to AHV – Migration
- Power off VM.
- Create new VM in PrismUI.
- Add new virtual network adapter
- Add disks to VM, configure it as follows:
- Type: DISK
- Operation: Clone From NDFS file
- BUS Type: SCSI
- PATH: provide path to VM VMDK flat file on container. To see the available options, type / to start
- You can enable HA and set its priority.
- Power VM on.
Migrate Windows 2012R2 server from ESXi to AHV – Post-migration tasks
- Open VM console and log in.
- Update IP configuration.
- Uninstall VMware tools.
- Reboot server one more time, if required
Migrate Windows 2012R2 server from ESXi to AHV – Video
- Migrate RHEL 6.5 from ESXi to Nutanix AHV
- Migrate Suse Linux from VMware ESXi to Nutanix AHV in minutes
- Migrate Windows 2012R2 from Citrix XenServer to Nutanix AHV